Michigan Outdoor Recreation Industry Data
The Federal Bureau of Economic Analysis created the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account to serve as a single official source of information on the size and composition of the outdoor recreation economy at the state and national levels. Explore interactive graphs and charts that display the industry and activity breakdowns of the outdoor recreation economy for Michigan and other states.View Industry Data
Notable Outdoor Industry Manufacturing Companies in Michigan
Welcoming New Faces to the Outdoors: Ice Climbing in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
At the Michigan Ice Fest in Munising, Upper Peninsula locals and international climbers alike team up to welcome first-time climbers from across the country (and beyond) each February to learn an exciting new sport while helping people of all cultures and backgrounds experience the beauty and wonder of Pure Michigan.
Outdoor Recreation Industry News and Podcasts
- New partnership aims to encourage US e-bike manufacturing
- Founded Outdoors Publishes ‘Concept to Creation’ Blog Series
- Hockey and Sports Medicine Supplier Howies Hockey Tape Expands in Gaines Charter Township
- New Investments Position Michigan to Lead Outdoor Experience and Recreational Vehicle Innovation
- Denver Outdoor Sports Retailer Plans Grand Rapids Store as Owner Relocates to West Michigan
- Chicken Tramper Ultralight Gear Sews Its Way Into Industry 4.0: A Q&A With Co-founder Nathan Ackerman
- Governor Whitmer Announces Carhartt, Family-Owned Manufacturer of Workwear and Outdoor Apparel, Expanding in Dearborn to Create 125 jobs
- Jeff Thompson, partner/product design engineer and co-founder, of Shaggy's Copper Country Skis joins The Michigan Opportunity Podcast
- Gina Thorsen, CEO and Co-Owner, of Jacquart Fabric Products, home of Stormy Kromer joins The Michigan Opportunity Podcast
- Brad Garmon of Michigan Outdoor Recreation Industry Office joins the Michigan Opportunity Podcast
Outdoor Rec Industry Stories
Outdoor economy hits new high in Michigan; diverse industry demonstrates growth and resilience
The Great Outdoors: Michigan’s Growing Outdoor Recreation Industry
Chasing Waterfalls: Michigan Ice Fest
Little Bay Boards
Uncle Ducky Outdoors
Paddles & Pedals
True North Outpost
Sleeping Bear Surf
Our Mission: Support, Grow and Promote
Outdoor recreation plays an important and growing role in Michiganders’ quality of life, leisure time and health. The Office of Outdoor Recreation Industry works with industry partners from many sectors to anticipate emerging trends, create effective policy and elevate outdoor recreation opportunities and resources across Michigan. The Office collaborates with Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in developing, promoting, and enhancing the state’s natural assets and outdoor businesses. As well as propel all aspects of the industry from manufacturing to retail, including access and enjoyment of the outdoors.
Michigan’s outdoor recreation manufacturers, retailers and destinations are major players in the national outdoor recreation economy. By joining the Confluence of States and signing the Accords, Michigan will partner with other like-minded states to support, grow and promote this significant industry. It also aligns our work with other states that value conservation and stewardship, health and wellness, and workforce and economic development.
Through participation in the National Governors Association's Outdoor Recreation Learning Network, the office also will work alongside other states to learn from each other and share best practices.
Additionally, The Outdoor Recreation Advisory Council makes recommendations to the Office of Outdoor Recreation Industry, the DNR and MEDC on ways to improve partnerships, collaborative strategies and policies that will increase the outdoor recreation economy, employment and consumer spending, and support conservation and public recreation assets.
Learn how Michigan’s Outdoor Recreation Industry continues to grow their network of partners, programs and services within and beyond the great lakes:
Get in Touch
Outdoor recreation supports health, contributes to a high quality of life and—perhaps most importantly—attracts and sustains employers and families. When it comes to outdoor recreation opportunities, Michigan has a lot to offer. To learn more or to get in touch with the Office of Outdoor Recreation, please contact office director, Brad Garmon.Contact Now
Michigan is an Industry Leader