Michigan business leaders travel to China for trade mission
LANSING, Mich. – Business leaders from seven Michigan companies are traveling to China this week meeting with prospective partners, distributors and buyers to increase export opportunities from Michigan to China. The trade mission is being led by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation International Trade Office.
“China is an important and viable market for a wide range of products and services,” said MEDC Chief Executive Officer Steve Arwood. “This trade mission will open doors for these companies by helping them identify and enter into new relationships there. These Michigan companies, with products ranging from renewable energy solutions to complex automotive components, will have a never-before-seen opportunity to reach new customers in the fastest-growing economy in the world.”
Delegates from the export mission are attending business matchmaking events in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Guangzhou. The matchmaking events include customized appointments with prospective partners, distributors and buyers in each region. The participants will also receive in-country briefings about doing business in China.
The participating companies are:
- Arbor Plastic Technologies, LLC (Sterling Heights) – Producer of specialty additives for the plastic resin industry
- Bulman Products, Inc. (Grand Rapids) – Manufacturer of cutters, dispensers and racks for rolled paper and other materials
- Energy Design Service Systems (Whitmore Lake) – Lighting designer and supplier specializing in energy efficiency and renewable energy building applications
- Hybrid Design Services, Inc. (Troy ) – Design and engineering firm specializing in alternative energy technologies for electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles
- Movimento Group (Plymouth) – Vehicle reflashing software designer
- Pritech Corporation (Canton) – Automotive parts supplier; provider of engineering, marketing and logistics services
- Sakor Technologies, Inc. (Okemos) – Manufacturer of dynamometer test systems
MEDC’s International Trade Office reports that year to date, it has facilitated $242.7 million in export sales for Michigan companies. This exceeds the fiscal year 2014 total facilitated sales of $229.7 million. China is the lead market for facilitated Michigan exports, with $61 million in year-to-date export sales to China and 34 new market entries for Michigan companies.
Business leaders and economists estimate enormous potential growth opportunities for Michigan in China:
- China is Michigan’s third largest export market, after Canada and Mexico.
- In 2014, Michigan exported more than $3.4 billion in goods to China.
- Since 2000, Michigan’s exports to China have increased by more than 1,500 percent, while Michigan’s exports to the rest of the world (not including China) grew by only 56.2 percent.
- In 2014, Michigan ranked 10th in U.S. exports to China.
- Top Michigan exports to China include transportation equipment, chemicals, machinery and computer and electronic products.
- Michigan exported $52.8 million in food and agriculture products to China in 2013.
MEDC’s International Trade Office works to extend export opportunities to more Michigan companies and ensure they are connected with the resources to explore new markets, access existing export resources and increase global competitiveness. The China export mission is the MEDC International Trade Office’s seventh mission in 2015. Other missions have included United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Canada and Eastern Africa.
Pure Michigan is a brand representing business, talent and tourism initiatives across Michigan. These efforts are driven by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, which serves as the state’s marketing arm and lead advocate for business growth, jobs and opportunity with a focus on helping grow Michigan’s economy.
About Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation is the state’s marketing arm and lead advocate for business development, job awareness and community development with the focus on growing Michigan’s economy. For more information on the MEDC and our initiatives, visit www.MichiganBusiness.org. For Pure Michigan® tourism information, your trip begins at www.michigan.org. Join the conversation on: Facebook Instagram LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Recent Press Releases