Michigan consumer goods companies interested in reaching new customers in the fastest growing economy in the world can learn about the new Pure Michigan Export Now pilot program through four informational forums taking place around the state in April
LANSING – Michigan consumer goods companies interested in reaching new customers in the fastest growing economy in the world can learn about the new Pure Michigan Export Now pilot program through four informational forums taking place around the state in April.
“Through these workshops, Michigan companies will be introduced to Export Now’s unique combination of services and offered the opportunity to test their products in the China consumer market with limited risk,” said MEDC President and CEO Michael A. Finney. “The Export Now program is designed for consumer goods companies that want to test a foreign market but are not sure where to start or how to navigate through the various regulatory, logistical and cultural hurdles.”
The Export Now informational forum dates and locations are:
Monday, April 16, 2 – 4 p.m.
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Suite 1900, One Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48226
Tuesday, April 17, 8:30 – 10:30 a.m.
Rapid Central Station, 250 Grandville Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Wednesday, April 18, 10 a.m. – noon
Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, Insurance Capital Board Room, 500 E. Michigan Ave., Ste. 200, Lansing MI 48912
Friday, April 20, 8 – 10 a.m.
Four Points by Sheraton Saginaw, 4960 Towne Centre Road, Saginaw, MI 48604
The workshops will include:
- A detailed overview of the Pure Michigan Export Now program along with a question and answer session presented by Frank Lavin, CEO and founder of Export Now (former Under Secretary for International Trade at the U.S. Department of Commerce and former U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Singapore).
- Discussion on the buying trends in China by Tomas Hult, Eli Broad Professor of Marketing and International Business and Director of the International Business Center at Michigan State University.
- Information on how to get in the pipeline for the Export Now program and highlights on the Michigan Export program by MEDC Export Program staff.
To register for one of the workshops, visit here: https://www.regonline.com/calendarNET/EventCalendar.aspx?EventID=1087204. Visit here for more information on Export Now: http://www.michiganbusiness.org/grow/export-assistance/.
Export Now provides an end-to-end IT and logistics solution that enables Michigan companies to sell on China’s e-commerce platform, www.tmall.com, as easily as selling on similar and familiar U.S. e-commerce platforms at home. Michigan companies will be able to participate in the first-ever mass marketing of Michigan goods to China in a single place through the Pure Michigan department in the online store.
With support from MEDC and Export Now, the first 100 Michigan companies to sign up for the program will pay only $1,000 and use the service for one year, two-thirds less than the usual $3,000 charge. Michigan companies will ship goods on consignment to an Export Now depot in California, where shipments are consolidated and forwarded to Export Now’s Shanghai distribution center. All companies pay a transaction cost with each sale.
To qualify for the pilot program, companies must:
- Be an existing Michigan company that currently manufactures or produces a consumer product.
- Verify that the proposed product or product family has already been sold successfully in the marketplace.
- Demonstrate the capability to successfully run an export program by showing previous success in e-commerce, previous success in exporting, or simply by the size and maturity of the company.
About Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation is the state’s marketing arm and lead advocate for business development, job awareness and community development with the focus on growing Michigan’s economy. For more information on the MEDC and our initiatives, visit www.MichiganBusiness.org. For Pure Michigan® tourism information, your trip begins at www.michigan.org. Join the conversation on: Facebook Instagram LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Recent Press Releases