Wednesday, July 16, 2003
Michigan Economic Development Corporation Looking for Success Stories
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation announced that it is currently accepting nominations of companies for the 4th Annual Investment and Commercialization Success Celebration, an event that recognizes success in university technology transfer.
The awards will be announced September 24 at the Capitol Rotunda in Lansing.
“As a national leader in university research and development activities, Michigan has an enormous potential for transforming that research into successful commercial products,” said MEDC acting CEO Sabrina Keeley. “The Success Celebration recognizes individuals and organizations that are on the cutting edge of Michigan’s commercialization activity.”
Nominations can be made for the following categories: Life Sciences, Homeland Security, Advanced Automotive Technology, Alternative Energy, Small Tech, Angel/Venture Capitalists, and University/Private Sector Partnerships.
Nominations will be accepted for those that meet one of the following criteria:
- Successful university research commercialization that resulted in a start-up business in the past year.
- Successful university research commercialization that resulted in a start-up business prior to this year and has made significant achievements
- Michigan company that has licensed technology from a Michigan university and has developed a product around the technology and/or generated revenue as a result of the technology.
- Michigan company that has sponsored research at a Michigan university and the partnership has resulted in a commercialization opportunity.
- Michigan company that has sponsored an internship or entrepreneurship program at a Michigan university.
- Creation of a new angel or venture capital fund.
- Angel or venture capital company that has made a substantialinvestment in Michigan.
Criteria for nominations and a nomination form are available online at http://medc.michigan.org/hitechfocus. The deadline for nominations is July 25.
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, a partnership between the state and local communities, promotes smart economic growth by developing strategies and providing services to create and retain good jobs and a high quality of life.
# # #