Michigan Employers: Got a job to fill? Hire a vet.
In honor of Veteran’s Day, the State of Michigan Veterans’ Services Division this week is encouraging Michigan employers to hire a veteran when filling open positions. To help connect veterans with hiring employers, Veterans’ Services will host and staff veteran-specific job fairs in two cities on Thursday, November 10th.
Veterans’ Services Division Employment Specialists will also take part in a variety of veterans’ events throughout the week, and will be available to assist both Michigan employers looking to hire a vet and veterans who need help with the transition from service to employment.
“Thousands of Michigan military personnel serve our country honorably every year, only to return home and struggle to find a job and support their families,” said retired Major General Robert Smith, Director of the Veterans’ Services Division of Michigan’s Workforce Development Agency. “Michigan employers who have been fortunate enough to thrive in this time of conflict owe it to our returning vets to give them an opportunity to compete for a good job.”
Two job fairs targeting Michigan veterans are scheduled for Thursday, November 10:
- Lansing Job Fair for Military Personnel: 8:30 am to 3 pm, Michigan National Guard Headquarters / Joint Family Resource Center, 3411 North Martin Luther King Blvd, Lansing. Event not open to the public.Veteran’s Services Representatives on site: Stacey Cooper, Yves Hamel, Ron Ross,Michael West. Employers: contact Michael West at firstname.lastname@example.org to register through 12:00 pm, November 9.
- Operation SERVE Career Opportunity Expo: 9:45 am – 2 pm at Sienna Heights University, 1247 Siena Heights Drive, Adrian.Opening remarks from retired Major General Robert Smith, Director of Veterans’ Services for the State of Michigan. Veterans’ Services Representatives on site: Michael Albig, Joe Gablesberger, Sean Sims.
Employers who hire veterans are eligible for a variety of federal and state benefits and incentives, including:
- Michigan's Work Opportunity Tax Credit Program (http://www.michigan.gov/uia/0,1607,7-118--78849--,00.html), a federal program of tax credits for businesses that hire individuals from certain qualified groups, including disabled people who completed or are completing rehabilitative services from a state or the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program (VR&E) (http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/emp_resources.htm), a federal program that provides a variety of incentives to employers who hire veterans with service-connected disabilities.
- Architectural / Transportation Tax Deduction, (http://www.disabilityworks.org/default.asp?contentID=154) a federal tax deduction for making a facility or public transportation vehicle accessible by the disabled.
Disabled Access Credit (http://508helpdesk.com/2011/10/irs-disabled-access-credit/), a federal tax credit to allow small business to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and provide access to disabled employees.
Michigan’s Veterans’ Services Specialists will be on site at various veterans’ ceremonies and events taking place this week, and will be available to assist both veterans and employers looking to hire a vet:
- Resources, Reintegration and Respect: Honoring and Supporting Military Families and Veterans
Wednesday, November 9, 2011, 10 am, St. Johns, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative: Carrie L. Headworth
- 2011 Veteran's Hall of Fame and Awards Ceremony
Wednesday, November 9, 7 pm, Hillsdale County Veteran's Association, Jonesville MI.
Veterans’ Services Representative:TBD
- Congressman Hansen Clarke's Veterans Day at Historic Fort Wayne
Thursday, November 10, 10 am, Detroit, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative:Ethan McCallum, State Veterans Coordinator
- Native American History Month & Veterans Day Program
Thursday, November 10, 2011, 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm, Grand Rapids, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative:Allen Nash, Steve Gillotte
- VFW Post 1669 Old Detroit Light Guard Reunion Dinner
Thursday, November 10, 8 pm to 11 pm, Royal Oak, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative: Ron Ross
- Veteran Day Ceremony, VFW Oscoda
Friday, November 11, 11 am, Oscoda, MI
Veterans’ Services Representatives:Jim Stanuzek, William Kennings
Friday, November 11, 11 am, Alpena, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative: Dennis Statkowski
- American Legion / Vietnam Veterans of American Chapter 1047
Friday, November 11, 11 am, Harrison, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative:Ron Ross
- Veterans Ceremony, Gladwin Moose Lodge 287
Friday, November 11, 11 am, Gladwin, MI
Veterans’ Services Representative:Ron Ross
- Veterans Day Ceremony, Sault Sainte Marie High School
Friday, November 11, 11 am, Sault Sainte Marie, MI
Veteran’s Services Representative: Mike Mullin
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, a public-private partnership serving as the state's marketing arm and lead agency for business, talent and jobs, focuses on helping grow Michigan's economy. For more on the MEDC and its initiatives, visit: MichiganAdvantage.org